You’ll make it happen
Inclusive, supportive and innovative – come and be part of our bright future at Venetia! South Africa’s most valuable diamond mine is currently being transitioned from an Open Pit to Underground Mine. This opportunity allows you to be part of one of the largest infrastructure projects in the country.
The Artisan C&I Mechanician shall possess sound technical knowledge (both theory and practical) of measurement and control instruments and control systems and provide assurance to the Senior C&I Technician that all installation, maintenance and repairs performed comply with OEM, company and departmental standards and specifications.
Our dedication to quality and high performance extends to our workforce, so we seek talented, ambitious people who will thrive in an environment which fosters individuality, inclusivity and creativity. If you like the idea of challenging and stimulating work in a diverse team, we’d like to hear from you.
- Contribute to a culture of zero harm by adhering to all requirements as laid down by legislation, health, safety, environmental, and security policies and procedures, and by the application of specific instructions to own work area and task completion
- Plan activities in accordance with schedules and allocate resources as required
- Ensure that critical spares, tools and equipment are available as required
- Analyse equipment performance and maintenance in area of responsibility
- Calibrate and configure equipment according to work specifications
- Ensure electrical reticulation maintenance is in accordance to set standards
- Perform fault finding and diagnose problems and malfunctions
- Maintain effective communication with supervisory and relevant stakeholders
- Proactively assess underground flow to ensure that production disruptions are minimized and Implement appropriate corrective action in the event of underground flow disruptions/breakdowns
- Exercise sound expert judgment with regards to repair versus replacement versus upgrade of components
- Maintenance checklists, inspections and associated logbooks are up to date and accurate
- Conduct efficient housekeeping of equipment and work area in accordance with departmental requirements
- Report and record relevant operational data as required by department procedures to compile reports
- Perform all activities according to instructions, procedures production needs
- Participate in cost saving initiatives and adhere to financial procedures
- Participate in risk-identification and management activities
- Participate in accident and incident investigations
- Ensure proper and adequate on-the-job training and coaching is provided to subordinates
This role is in the VUP Engineering department at a CL level reporting to the C&I Superintendent – Fixed Plant and Shafts.
- Grade 12 / N3 / Equivalent NQF Level 4 qualification with Mathematics and Physical Science
- Trade Certificate: Instrument Mechanician / Instrumentation
- Minimum of 3 years continuous experience as a C&I Mechanician in a maintenance environment
- Valid EB/Code 8 Drivers License
- Computer Literacy·
- Medical Certificate of Fitness to work underground (incl. No colour blindness, Ability to work at heights and in confined spaces)
- The post is dependent on the successful completion of the Company’s pre-employment protocol such as qualifications’ verification, relevant psychometric assessments and a clear security clearance
- Must have been exposed and knowledgeable on relevant equipment and systems in the Fixed Plant environment. E.g. Bulk Air coolers, Main Vent Fans, Conveyors, Pump stations)?
- Must have experience on basic communications busses especially ProfiBus/ ProfiNet would be an advantageous?
- Must be informed concerning PLC and SCADA systems in particular Siemens PLC’s and WinCC SCADA systems would be an advantageous?
- Sound knowledge and experience of Safety, Health and Environmental Legislation and standards applicable to field of work
- Sound process instrumentation fault finding skills
- Sound knowledge of Industrial Instrumentation
- Skills to troubleshoot, inspect and operate all equipment and tools within area of responsibility
Who We Are:
Venetia Mine – South Africa
De Beers Group is a company with a rich history and a sparkling future.
Since 1888 our experts have searched the world for nature’s most precious gem. Our diamonds bring beauty to the world. But we think they can do so much more. We want our diamonds, and our business, to make life brilliant – for our people, our customers, and the world around us.
Venetia Mine is part of De Beers Group Managed Operations Business which integrates mines, operations and support functions in the De Beers Group producer countries of Canada and South Africa to shape a safe, sustainable future for De Beers Group’s people, shareholders, communities and partners.
Safety first is a way of life for us. We are unconditional about the safety, health and well-being of our colleagues, at work and at home, and about that of the communities where we work. We aim to lead the industry by investing in innovation to protect people, who are at the heart of our business. Our high performing teams take accountability for their own and others’ actions, work collaboratively, and always show care and respect.
By applying for this job, you provide consent that your personal details, including your fingerprints, can be used to conduct background screening where appropriate. For more information, please visit:
Anglo American/ De Beers Group collects and processes personal data in accordance with the relevant regulations. For more information, please visit:
Inclusion and Diversity
Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
How to Apply
- To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.
- Preference will be given to Venetia employees who meet the criteria
- For all internal applicants, you are required to complete an internal application form and attach detailed CV. This form must be accompanied with a signature from your immediate Line Manager and Head of Department, failure to do so will render your application invalid.
Since safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines have become widely available this year, we have strongly encouraged employees to get vaccinated at the earliest possible opportunity. However, as vaccines have been proven to be a very effective and safe way of protecting people and reducing Covid-19 transmission, we have now announced our intent to introduce a policy that requires Covid-19 vaccination for access to all sites and offices. This policy would apply to all new joiners to the company as well as existing employees and contractors.
We are in the process of undertaking a comprehensive engagement process with all our stakeholders about our intent. This is so we can tailor our approach in each country, including ensuring what we do is lawful. Once this is complete, we will look to implement the policy. There may be differences in how and when it is implemented due to local context and legal requirements
Closing Date: 20/03/2022