Dis-Chem Pharmacies require a Packaging Designer at our head office in Midrand. You will be required to develop packaging for the Dis-Chem Private Label range. Ensuring all packaging design requirements from the business are designed and produced from start to finish. Be responsible for the overall research and development of Dis-Chem private label products ensuring they are innovative, creative and industry specific, which will ultimately enhance the product range.
- Grade 12 – Matric, and a Qualification in Graphic Design or DTP
- Minimum 3 – 5 years’ previous experience in the Packaging Design and Graphics field
- Generate new packaging designs for various products relating to brief.
- Ensure packaging designs meet set (health, legal and religious) requirements and specification.
- Produce physical samples where applicable.
- Consider characteristics of a product, and how it responds to its surrounding environment and customer base.
- Develop initial design concept and solution with the ability to communicate requirements to various departments to complete a project.
- Develop design briefs that suit Dis-Chem’s purpose.
- Effectively manage projects independently from start to end to ensure timely delivery.
- Ensure all packaging adheres to CI guidelines.
- Maintain a file of packaging specifications for cross-reference.
- Ensures that labelling match product specifications.
- Create designs based on advertising and sponsorship programs when applicable
- Work with various departments (New Product Development, Imports and Technical Compliance) to do research on material and assess and investigate the viability of local suppliers.
- Conceptualize design elements for new products and rebranding of the existing designs.
- Adhere to new product development objectives and standards.
- Manage timelines effectively with Traffic Coordinator.
- Align all stakeholders approach to Packaging Operations best practice.
- Liaise with New Product Development Team, Graphic Studio Manager and Managing Director when designing packaging products.
- Ensure quality compliance of packaging is done by the Technical Compliance Department.
- Meet with team regularly to ensure design brief is met.
- Work closely with suppliers to determine best options for Dis-Chem and its products.
- Develop and maintain a strong spirit of partnership.
- Conduct all communications and transactions with the utmost integrity.
- Work closely with the Managing Director of Dis-Chem, the Marketing team, and suppliers to effectively achieve set targets.
- Prioritize and organise To-Do lists are a must.
- Be able to work under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Adhere to project deadlines and inform management in advance if these deadlines won’t be met.
- Be considerate on research time in accordance to brief deadline and urgency.
- Research best design practice for product development projects.
- Identify the suitability of suppliers.
- Research and monitor existing industry standard to best implement on the Dis-Chem private label packaging.
- Assist various departments in conducting research to understand exactly what the target audience will respond to.
- Keep up to date with design and technological innovations.
- Take into account environmental considerations, such as biodegradability or recycling opportunities.
- Liaise with NPD team by comparing the company’s product to competitors’ products.
- Ensure that packaging products meet set requirements and specifications.
- Make presentations to Directors or clients to present design proposals.
- Prepare and present seasonal product innovations in line with current trends.
- Understand technology, production methods, and materials.
- Control quality standards.
- Adapt to changing circumstances, while still meeting deadlines.
- Do occasional store visits to inspect products on the shelves.
- Design product requirements based on the packaging brief.
- Create proofs or to scale mock-ups for approval.
- Request any artwork elements from agencies or supplier when/if needed.
- Think creatively to produce new ideas and concepts and developing interactive designs.
- Use innovation to redefine a design brief within the constraints of cost and time.
- Stay relevant to current trends within the packaging space.
- Ensure that all designs are in line with the Dis-Chem Private Label range.
- Proofread all work to produce accurate and high-quality work.
- Give accurate feedback to team members and management regarding projects.
- Maintain accurate records of the progress of all jobs.
- Ensure files are saved accurately in order for team members or management to find easily.
- Work as part of a team to ensure high quality work.
- Ensure team members that are on-board with the different projects are in the loop with regards to the finalization of these different projects.
- Consider recommendations of team member`s suggestions, on improving designs.
- Conduct brain storming sessions with the team.
- Ensure a sense of respect and professionalism when working with other team members.
- Share knowledge and ideas with other team members when they are in need.
- Housekeeping must be in accordance to Dis-Chem standards.
- Adhere to Dis-Chem Policies and Procedures and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Adhere to Health and Safety rules and regulations.
- Advanced Computer skills (Office, Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Have excellent design and industry skills and knowledge
- English (Read, write and speak well)
- Manage design time on jobs efficiently in order to meet deadlines
- Be able to identify and solve problems to ensure work is done efficiently
- Be willing to learn and share knowledge
- Have and demonstrate initiative
- Team player with good communication skills
Special conditions of employment:
- South African citizen
- MIE, clear criminal and credit
- Driver’s license and/or own reliable transport
Remuneration and benefits:
- Market related salary
- Medical aid
- Provident fund
- Staff account
ONLY SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED. IF YOU HAVEN’T BEEN CONTACTED WITHIN TWO WEEKS AFTER THE CLOSING DATE CONSIDER YOUR APPLICATION AS UNSUCCESSFUL.
Dis-Chem Pharmacies is an equal opportunity employer. Dis-Chem’s approved Employment Equity Plan and targets will be considered as part of the recruitment process aligned to Dis-Chem’s Employment Equity & Transformation Strategy. Dis-Chem actively supports the recruitment of People with Disabilities.