General Assistant– job post
The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation that researches, develops, localises and diffuses technologies to accelerate socio-economic prosperity in South Africa. The organisation’s work contributes to industrial development and supports a capable state.
About the job:
The CSIR has a vacancy for General Assistant in the Facilities Management and Security Services (FM&SS) portfolio. The incumbent will be responsible performing semi-skilled multiple repair and maintenance tasks as well as assisting with carrying out planned and breakdown maintenance, refurbishments and new installations. This role also involves carrying out preventative maintenance tasks on buildings, systems, equipment and ancillary areas. This position is based in Pretoria.
- Assist Artisans and Handyman in carrying out planned maintenance and repairs to CSIR buildings plant and equipment;
- Perform minor plumbing work to include but not limited to the following: assembling and installing piping, toilets, washbasins, valves, fittings and preventative maintenance inspections;
- Assist the plumber with all types of plumbing work which will include assisting with installations, inspections, diagnosing problems/faults/leaks, testing, repair and maintenance of pipes, fixtures and other water and plumbing systems used anywhere for water distribution and waste disposal;
- Perform a variety of routine tasks associated with erecting and repairing structures and facilities, maintaining stormwater, drainage and sewerage systems, excavating earth and clearing and levelling sites, and installing and maintaining piping systems, fixtures and water regulators;
- Erecting and dismantling temporary structures such as barricades and scaffolding;
- Perform general facilities duties to include but are not limited to the following: general housekeeping in all areas of work; cleaning of vehicles used by the section; attending to personnel visiting the site such as contractors;
- Carry out other general duties within the section and assist clients with minor requests as may be assigned by the Supervisor from time to time.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Grade 12 certificate;
- Two (2) years’ experience in a technical / maintenance environment;
- Good knowledge of maintenance and Facilities management;
- Knowledge and experienced in Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) and statutory compliance in workshop environment.
- Code 8 driver’s License with medical clearance certificate.
Closing date: 24 July 2023
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre at Recruitment02@csir.co.za. Please do not send any applications to this mailbox. It is for queries only.
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the Employment Equity Act of 1998. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.